The Tag Manager makes it easy to view and manage every tag in your account. With the Tag Manager, you can see which automations are using a specific tag, and how many contacts have that tag applied to them. In addition, the Tag Manager allows you to bulk add tags, edit tags, merge tags, and delete tags from your account.
How to access the Tag ManagerTo open the Tag Manager:
- Click "Contacts" to navigate to the Contacts overview page.
2. Click “Manage Tags” to display the Tag Manager.
A list of all tags in your account will be displayed. In addition, you will see the following for each tag:
- Tag description (if you've added one)
Number of contacts that have that tag
Automations that are currently using that tag
Bulk adding tags to your account with the Tag Manager is easy. To add multiple tags at once, either type or paste the tags you would like to add in the "Add Tag" box. You'll want to make sure that there is only one tag per line. Once you've added all tags to this box, click the "Add Tag" button.
How to find and modify automations using a tag
Any changes made to a tag in the Tag Manager will not be reflected in your automations.
We recommend updating any automations that reference your old tag to reflect your new
tag first, then use the Tag Manager to edit/merge/delete that old tag.
To quickly find the automation(s) that references your old tag, follow these steps:
1. From the Tag Manager, click the number that appears under the “Automations” column:
2. A modal window will appear with a list of automations. Click the name of the automation to open it.
3. Find the action that is using the old tag and then modify it so it no longer references it.
How to edit a tagWhen you edit a tag in the Tag Manager, that change will be reflected for all contacts who currently have that tag. The change will also be reflected in the floating segment builder.
However, this change will not be reflected in any link actions or automations that use that tag. We recommend updating any link actions and/or automation actions that reference this tag first, then following the steps below to edit your tag.
To modify the tag's name or add a description:
1. From the Tag Manager, click “Edit.”
2. Type the new name in the name field and type in the description in the description field (optional).
3. Click “Save.”
How to delete a tag from your account
When you delete a tag from the tag manager, that tag will be removed from all contacts and it will no longer be available in the floating segment builder.
However, this tag will not be removed from your automations or link actions. All automations and link actions using this tag will need to be updated manually. We recommend modifying your automations and link actions first, then follow the steps below to delete your tag.
To delete a tag:
1. From the Tag Manager, click the down caret next to “Edit” and click “Delete.”
2. A modal window will appear. Choose to either remove this tag from all contacts who have it, or move all contacts to a different tag. If choosing to move all contacts to a different tag, click into the tag field and select the new tag by clicking it.
3. Click "Delete Tag."
The system will begin the process of removing the tags from contacts and the Tag manager. Click “Close.”
How to merge tags
If you have multiple tags that serve the same purpose, you can use the Merge function in the Tag Manager to combine them.
The tag(s) selected for the merge will be removed from contacts as well as from the Tag Manager; the tag selected in the “Merge into tag” field will then be applied to all contacts who had the old tag.
All automations and link actions using the old tag(s) will need to be updated manually to reflect your preferred tag. We recommend modifying your automations and link actions that reference this tag first, then following these steps to merge your tags.
To merge tags:
1. Select the redundant tag(s) and click the “Merge” button.
In this example, we're going to merge the tag, "Networking Events" into "Networking Events List."
2. Click the field that appears under “Merge into tag” to display a dropdown of tags that you can merge your selected tag(s) into:
3. Click the tag you wish to merge the old tag into.
4. Click “Merge Selected Tags.”